Many people have been asking how to make my delicious cakes so this week I will start by introducing you to Laura my friend, spiritual/yoga bud who on a quest to reduce her dairy, gluten and sugar intake came up with these delights! These are going to feature on my weekly cakes menu.
Read about how she makes them in her blog.
‘On my recent quest to reduce my intake of dairy, gluten and sugar, I was finding my afternoons hard. The usual order of large sugared tea and kit kat was definitely off the menu….but I didn’t want to feel deprived and was getting tired of eating peppers with hummus! So I made it my little mission to find something that was healthy and tasty. These little bars are great pick me up mid afternoon, packed with nuts and linseed, feel free to play around’.
Nutty afternoon bars
½ a cup of almonds, pecans & walnuts crushed
2 cups of gluten free, organic, crispy rice
2 tablespoons of linseed & pine nuts
Zest of an large orange*
1 heaped tablespoon of desiccated coconut
200g if no added sugar, dairy free chocolate, made with xylitol
Squirt of agave syrup
4 drops of natural vanilla essence
Knob of butter (avoid if looking to avoid dairy)
4 tablespoons no sugar or salt peanut butter
- Mix the nuts, crispy rice, linseed, pine nuts, orange zest and coconut in a large glass bowl
- Melt the chocolate and add the rest of the ingredienst in a bowl positioned over a pan of boiling water
- Pour the chocolatey mixture over the nuts and rice and stir well to coat it all through.
- Line a deep dish of your choice with some baking paper (so you can pull out when ready easily) and pour the mixture in.
- Press the mixture in to all the corners and then put another dish over the top that will ress the mixture down whilst it hardens
- Pop in the fridge over night to harden up, then in the morning take out of dish using the baking paper to help pull outstanding
- Cut in squares and enjoy!
*Can be substituted for different flavours – mint leaves, lemon zest, cinnamon, chilli!